Ingredients (serves 4)
4 tbspns Olive Oil
2 Carrots, cubed
3 Sticks Celery, cubed
2 Onions, finely chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
8 Veal Osso Bucco
1 tbspn Tomato Paste
800g Tin Diced Tomatoes
2 Cups Beef Stock
1 tspn Dried Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
1. Heat 20g butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large saucepan.
2. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Pour into a large casserole dish.
4. Place 4 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper into a plastic bag with veal osso bucco and shake to cover well.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C.
6. Melt remaining butter and oil in same frying pan and brown veal.
7. Lay veal on top of carrot mixture (mirepoix – pronounced MEER-PWAH).
8. Pour the tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, thyme and bay leaves into the frying pan and bring to the boil.
9. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Pour over veal. Cover and bake for 1 ¾ hours.
Serve on top of mashed sweet potato/pumpkin/potato then top with gremolata. (Grated rind of 2 lemons, 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped and ½ cup chopped parsley mixed together)